[SUBW-A] Trip Report - Blue Breaks - July 5 - 10, 2005

David Noble dnoble at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jul 12 17:47:08 EST 2005

Trip Report - Blue Breaks - July 5 - 10, 2005

Party - Jo Boyd, Vanessa Haverd, Dave Noble

A selection of photos can be seen via:

http://www.david-noble.net/bushwalking/BlueBreaksJul05/
BlueBreaksMenu.html

On Tuesday July 5th, I set out with Vanessa from Sydney for Wentworth
Falls were we met Jo and changed cars for the rest of the drive to
Kanangra Walls. We arrived there about 11 and were happy to notice that
the parking ticket machines had been removed. After finishing off our
packing we set off along to Kanangra Walls, pausing for the obligatory
photographs and started on the Gingra Track. At Bullhead Top we had
lunch and then followed the track down the Bullhead Range to Cambage
Spire. After some more photos we scrambled down off the rocky summit
and descended to the Kowmung. We camped on some nice grassy flats near
Christies Creek Junction (the campsite will be familiar to those on
last years PBT)

After a cool night we awoke to find the valley cloaked in a thick mist
- but we warmed up by the fire and contemplated the crossing of the
Kowmung River that awaited us. We went downstream and found a
reasonable crossing spot and soon waded across. Then is was a brisk
walk up Bulga Ridge - emerging out of the mist layer as we ascended. We
stopped at the Bugle Lookout to admire the views and some aboriginal
sharpening grooves and paused also to look at some nearby fossils. Then
Jo led the way to Scotts Main Range. Then is was a short road bash to
Byrnes Gap. We were passed by two vehicles on their way from New Yards
Ridge and the Catholic Bushwalkers Huts there. At the hut at Byrnes Gap
was took advantage of the watertank and carried a modest amount of
water with us on Axehead Mountain. We were hopeful that recent rain
would have filled up some rock pools on the tops - but could we rely on
this?

The traverse of Axehead Mountain was truly splendid. Awesome views
greeted us in all directions and all of our cameras got a good workout.
For most of the way we traversed the skyline - and at one place you
come to a steep step - a 20m vertical wall. To descend this you need to
backtrack a little way and descend a very steep pass. I had been over
the mountain quite a few times before - but this time I had trouble
locating the pass. The reason was due to a recent landslide - one side
of the pass had gone! No wonder I had trouble finding it. Anyway - the
actual pass itself was unchanged although with the side missing it
seemed a lot more exposed. Once down we had to cross the debris from
the slide - but this was no problem. Jo told us that the slide had
occured while she and others were on a walk last year - they had got
through the area OK- but later on the trip - they had seen the new
landslide scar looking back from the Walls. So it must have taken place
the day after they went past. One is left to speculate on possible
triggers for the landslide......

Anyway - we traversed to Toddy Head - and set up camp. A recently
deceased wombat was lying in rest at the top campsite so we we chose
the lower one. The hoped for pool of water was there and the views were
every bit as magnificent was we all remembered. We had a leisurely
afternoon reading, drinking tea and taking photos. The vening was
camped off with a fine sunset, some of Jo's port and a nice slice each
of Vanessa's fruit cake.

We awoke before sunrise the next morning - and apart from some well lit
up clouds the sunrise was not too special. After breakfast we set off
along the rest of the traverse - climbing over Bull Island and then up
onto Vengeance Peninsula. More photo opportunities were available at
the "Thin Bit" of Vengeance - where the range is a knife-edge only a
metre wide with 100m cliffs on either side. With big packs this part of
the trip was a bit scary - thankfully we all made it safely across.
Then is was a steep descent down to Green Wattle Creek for lunch and
then a steep climb up to Lacys Tableland via Cuff Link Pass. This handy
pass was pioneered on a SUBW trip in the late 1970's. One member of the
party Ross Bradstock had found a nice rock on the way up to the pass
and decided to do some bouldering. After he had climbed the rock, he
was feeling hot, so rolled up his shirt sleeves. To do so he had to
take off his cuff links (bushwalkers were always well dressed back in
those days...) - and he placed them on the rock and completely forgot
about them. A few years later, Ross was in a party descending that very
pass, and again they saw the same rock and had the thought that is
would be good to climb upon. On top were the cuff links - completely
untarnished (they were made of gold). We went up the pass - and did not
spot any good bouldering rock. On the top some eagles swooped down to
take a look at us. Then is was a scrubby walk for about 2 hours to
reach a nice campsite at Bimlow Tableland.

Next morning we again awoke and were up before sunrise - and were again
greeted by ominous red clouds. The weather forecast was for rain - but
were walking in the catchment area and it never rains there - does it?

During the day we only had a few spots of rain - and were able to enjoy
the fantastic views that the Bimlow Tablelands provides. Some scrub
needed to be negotiated and there were no tracks to follow. We had to
constantly route-find our way through small bluffs. Late in the
afternoon we arrived at a nice cave. During the night it rained - so
the cave was a welcome shelter.

Next morning we again awoke early - and this time we were rewarded by a
nice sunrise and thick valley mist. We even were able to see (and
photograph) a Brocken Spectre. Magic! Then it was off down Hicksons
Pass (named after an incident on a SUBW trip on Bimlow Tablelands in
1974 when Ian Hickson almost died there - a dislodged boulder hurtled a
few cms from his head). At the bottom, we had another rainshower - and
this was resposible for altering our plans to head home via Shoobridge
Head on Broken Rock Range, so instead we bypassed the range and camped
in Butchers Creek (which was nicely flowing for a change).

On the last day - we climbed onto Scotts Main Range - and walked along
the fire trail. Again we met some catholic bushwalking club members
driving along to their shack. One (Frank Bendeich) drove back and
offered us a lift along the range. This was very generous of him - so
we accepted a lift to the Denis Ridge turnoff 0 greatly shortening our
roadbash and our walk out of the Kowmung. We were able to cross the
Kowmung at the base of Roots Ridge and reach Kanangra Walls by the mid
afternoon.

On the drive back we saw some snow on the Boyd Plateau - and we warmed
up near the fire at the Half Way House at Hampton were we enjoyed some
willy burgers, chips and scrambled eggs. As mobile phones were turned
on we heard anxious messages relating to a senior member of the club
being lost or overdue (5 days overdue?, and for the second time within
a week!) but a later call was made and it turns up he had been found.
We eagerly await the full story...

We all had a great walk in some of the finest country in the Blue Mts.
Thanks to Jo and Vanessa for their company.

Dave Noble

David Noble
dnoble at ozemail.com.au
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dnoble