[SUBW-A] Trip Report - K to K walk, Easter2004

wendy wing yee au winnie1507@hotmail.com
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:12:22 +0000

Trip Report – Kanangra Walls to Katoomba, Easter 2004

Party: Albert Chetcuti, Chris Johns, James Bucknell, James D (only to
Kanangra Walls) and myself.

Albert and I met up with the two Jameses, and later on Chris, at Katoomba on
the beautiful Friday morning. We rented a 17-seater bus to take us down to
Kanangra Walls, so we didn’t need to do the long car shuttle. We first
dropped my car at the carpark near Narrowneck, where we met a big group of
elder people just starting the K to M (Mittagong) walk, and then left
Katoomba for the long road trip to K Walls.

We got there around lunchtime. Albert, Chris, James B and I went to a nearby
lookout to take a few photos, while James D was having a nice chat with two
beautiful park rangers. There, he decided to leave us and do some other
things himself. (It is because the lady rangers are more attractive than
us?)

So four of us walked to the Walls, found a nice spot near the cliff, which
overlooks the gorge and valleys, and had a quick lunch there. The sunshine
and the view were so pleasant, but we didn’t have much time to relax there.
Our aim was to get to Dex Creek, so we could camp near the water source.
Although a couple of other walkers expressed doubt about us getting there by
dark, we were still pretty confident that we’d make it. The start of this
walk wasn’t too difficult, but somehow it still took 2 hrs to get to Gabes
Gap. It was already 4:30pm, and due to insufficient daylight, we were very
tempted to stay there for the night. However, we still thought it was
possible to get to Dex Creek, so we continued on. From Gabes Gap, is where
the climb begun. We went over Mt. High and Mighty and Mt. Stormbreaker. We
looked over to Mt. Cloundmaker and the setting sun has turned it into a
beautiful golden colour. Soon after, the sun had disappeared behind the
range on the left. With the help of our torches, we got as far as just
before Mt Cloudmaker, where we found a little campsite between two knolls,
and decided to stay there for the night. With the shortage of water, James
dinner turned out to be a bit messy. But we still had a great time sitting
by the fire, relaxing for the rest of the night.

The next morning, feeling hungry (Albert and I had no breakfast) and the
need for water, we continued our way to Dex Creek. We had a brief stop on
top of Mt. Cloudmaker to fill in the logbook and take a few pictures. We
were so excited when we finally reached the creek. The water was so fresh
that it tasted like cold spring water. We made ourselves some tea and
coffee. Albert and I had a late breakfast there, while Chris was going
through his 10-inch thick novel. After recharging our tummies and water
bottles, we moved on happily towards the Coxes River. We stopped for lunch
just before the big drop to Kanangra Creek. The track down was unclear and
very rough, but eventually we hit the creek at the right place. On the other
side of the creek, there’s a really nice grassy campsite. Realised that we
wouldn’t make it to Mobbs Swamp as initially planned, we dropped packs here
and set up our tents and hammock (James’). Soon after we claimed our
territory, two other groups of walkers arrived; one group camped on the
other side just upstream from us. James and I jumped into the water and had
a nice dip, but then I saw this bastard from the other group washing his
filthy socks despite seeing me in the water, so I quickly jumped out. Poor
Chris was about to collect some water for cooking.

Day 3 began with a big climb, first up the Yellow Pup Ridge, and then up to
Mt. Yellow Dog. From a pup to a dog, it took almost 2hrs. After a nice
break, we headed to Mobbs Swamp for lunch. Lucky that we decided to stay at
Kanangra Creek the previous night. Apparently there’s no water around Mobbs
Swamp and the campsite is not as nice too. The way to Medlow Gap was nice
and easy. We set our camp there that afternoon. Our bushwalking book
indicated that there is a waterhole nearby, but it did not mention anything
about using that water or the water quality. Anyway, James, Albert and I
walked down to the waterhole with bottles and pots, while Chris looked after
our stuff at the campsite.
We were in total shock when we saw the waterhole - or shall I call it the
“blackhole”. That pool of murky water was absolutely disgusting. Suddenly,
James - and his filter - became our best friends. Albert had removed a dead
frog from the water before we started filtering (Sorry Chris, we didn’t tell
you that just in case it scares you off). It took a while to convince Chris
that the water should be fine to drink. And thank God, I still had a full
750mL bottle of Kanangra Creek water! We all retreated to our tents/hammock
early that night, hoping to leave a bit early the next day.

Monday morning we climbed up to Narrowneck, with rewarding view on the way
up. After that was a long road bash back to the car. We had a nice lunch at
a café in Katoomba before heading back home.

It was a nice trip blessed with perfect weather. Thanks Chris, James and
Albert for coming and making this walk so joyful.

Wendy

Personalise your mobile chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
http://ringtones.com.au/ninemsn/control?page=/ninemsn/main.jsp